Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Gunther Deichmann.One Camera.One Expose.

Kudo's to photographer Gunther Deichmann for his unflinching expose into the industrial scale of shark fining in Bali.

The story of how he got these images is not as important as what he did with these images. Media is a powerful conservation tool it is not a private club. Nor do you have to have a special talent to acquire main stream media attention. Gunther attracted the attention of the U.K's Daily Mail with a global reach of 18.0 million unique visitors with his images.

All you need are images and a compelling story:

Renowned freelance photographer, Gunther Deichmann, 58, who photographed the shark fin haul, is adamant the world should confront the growing issue of shark fin trading.

'The volume of fins they were unloading was incredible, compared with the loads that the other tuna fishermen were working on,' said Manila-based Gunther. Working freelance on a commercial project, Gunther caught the every day fishing scene just by chance.

'I was doing a shoot for a Balinese restaurant and we were shooting the fresh produce aspect. It was at the harbour that I noticed this fishing haul so I started shooting'.

'This kind of fishing is totally legal in Indonesia so I was not in danger or in anybody's face'.

'The scale of the trawlers that catch the fish, the number of fishermen on site and the number of loads they unpacked from the ships was simply industrial in scale,' Gunther added.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great article guys where do I find his website does he have one I wanted to pass on a thanks?

Gunther Deichmann Photography said...

Hi Dear Seal Luvr,
my friends call me GD, first of all thanks for your kind words in your post on the Bali Shark fins, much appreciated. Yes it is pure madness and I am happy to contribute.
Lets hope this will stop one day and it is not to late.
By the way you ask for my website: See below my website and very active Blog.
Take care,
Cheers Gunther
Website: http://www.deichmann-photo.com/
Blog:http://www.deichmann-photo.com/blog.html